Information & Treatment of Infertility in Vancouver Canada
Coping with StressStress is our body's response to anything that 'stresses it out!' Fight or flight is the hormonal response from the body in times of stress, epinephrine and other hormones are what gives that 'buzz' associated with not being in a relaxed state. Fight or flight (stress) interferes with other hormone production, increases heart rate and blood pressure, constricts blood vessels (difficult to make sperm, and to achieve full erection), and releases excess sugar into the blood.
Unable to 'switch off' is the most common stress we see in the modern world. Working long hours, more expected at the job, tougher to get by, poor eating habits, lack of sleep, too much alcohol, not enough water, another coffee?, traffic, money. Over time this leads to fatigue, and various medical conditions. Most of the body's energy is going into simple survival, not reproduction.
Stress inhibits digestion and uptake of essential nutrients, induces heartburn, lowers sex drive, the immune system is considerably compromised, blood pressure goes up, people gain weight, memory suffers, dopamine becomes deficiency and depression may follow, and chronic fatigue may set in.
Stress releases sugar into the blood. The pancreas secretes insulin to make that sugar usable by our cells. The blood sugar levels rise and drop. This can create a situation called hypoglycemia. Extreme hunger and mood swings are cardinal.
Stress creates and overabundance of prolactin which may interfere with ovulation. Menstruation may become irregular, and the luteal phase of the cycle can become defective. Stress lowers sperm volume and numbers, and increases abnormal morphology rates.
Dealing with Stress
You need to develop strategies and techniques to deal with and reduce stress in your life. Remember, anything you practice you will improve at, now is the time to start practicing stress management.
Find out what stresses you and write them down. The first step is recognition. When a situation arises that normally stresses you out, you will start to recongnize it, and the opportunity to install different reactions to the same situations shows itself.
Try to cut back on work, put more energy into your relationship.
Some things to look into and try are the following: (educate yourself, get proactive, stress management may be the single most important aspect to winning the battle of infertility)
- Exercise lightly and regularly, something you enjoy doing.
- Deep breathing techniques (Qigong)
- Visualization (Qigong)
- Meditation (Qigong)
- Bach flower remedies (as your healthcare professional about these)
Make sure sleep is plentiful. If you have trouble sleeping, try these few ideas to help:
- get up at same time every day regardless of when you got to sleep, this establishes a cycle.
- go to bed at the same time each night.
- keep the bedroom dark, quiet, and cool.
- keep anything stressful out of the bedroom (computers, work related items, etc.)
- limit daytime napping.
- massage the bottom of your feet while lying in bed
- take hot baths in the evening with a few drops of lavender essential oil in the water.
- eat supper before 7pm.
- avoid caffeine after noon.
- get fresh air and exercise.
- seek counsel with issues that may be keeping you awake.
- do not work after dinner.
- read something pleasant in the evening.
Treatment of Infertility & IVF Support with Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine in Vancouver
Dr. Spence Pentland, Dr. TCM, R.Ac, FABORM
Dr. Spence Pentland is a provincially licenced Doctor with the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners and Acupuncturists of BC,
& a Fellow of the American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine (click on letter credentials for more info).
His clinical practice in Vancouver has focused on the treatment of men's and women's reproductive health issues since 2004,
helping hundreds realize their dream of having happy healthy families.
Click below to learn more about
1. Dr. Spence Pentland's Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine Treatment of Infertility in Vancouver
2. The IVF Acupuncture Group - a team of doctors specializing in providing quality, evidence-based acupuncture services for patients undergoing IVF in Greater Vancouver
[ Home ]
[ Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology ]
[ Diet and Lifestyle ]
[ Natural Fertility and Conception ]
[ Testing Your Fertility ]
[ FAM - Fertility Awareness Methods ]
[ Resources ]
[ Links ]
[ Causes of Infertility ] [ IVF (in vitro fertilization) ] [ Alternatives to IVF (IUI, IVI, AID, GIFT, ZIFT/TET) ] [ Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine ] [ Male Infertility ] [ Third Party Parenting ] [ Other Sites ] [ Pre~seed Vancouver ] [ Contact Us ]
copyright © Health Information Organization. 2005.